This piece describes the
famous military campaign in the Chinese history, ¡§the
Battle of Red Cliffs¡¨. In 208 AD, warlord General Cao
attempted to invade the Wu Kingdom, bringing his troops
over 200,000 soldiers southbound. General Sun of the Wu
Kingdom and General Liu combined their forces, fighting
Cao with only 50,000 soldiers. The alliance positioned
themselves on land and water, fighting with few against
many, and converging at the decisive battle site of Red
Cliffs. In the end, Cao was completely defeated at
Wulin, resulting in the three-way division of the
country. The music is consisted of the following parts:
1. Overture ¡V Zhuge Liang prodded General Sun into an
alliance with General Liu
against Cao¡¦s invasion.
2. The Battle of Changban ¡V impending danger, thunder of
the war drums.
3. The Qiao sisters ¡V beauties and the heroes.
4. The Battle of Wulin ¡V burning of the chained war
ships, Cao¡¦s defeat at Wulin.
5. The Battle of Jiangling ¡V Cao¡¦s escape from the
Wuarong passage, beginning of
the Three Kingdoms era.
This piece was world-premiered at the National Concert
Hall in Taipei, Taiwan on October 17, 2007. It was
performed by the Taiwan Wind Orchestra, with Prof.
Lian-Chang Kuo conducting. This piece was commissioned
by the Taiwan Wind Orchestra in 2007.